13 minutes read
What is personal data?
We collect information about you in a variety of ways, including personal data. As used in this Policy, “personal data” is as defined in the General Data Protection Regulation, which includes any information that, on its own or in combination with other information we process about you, identifies you as an individual, including, for example, your name, postal address, email address and telephone number.
Why do we need your personal data?
We will only process your personal data in accordance with applicable data protection and privacy laws. We need certain personal data to provide you with access to the Site. If you have registered with us, you will be asked to mark your consent to provide this information in order to access our services, purchase our products, or view our content. This consent provides us with the legal basis required by applicable law for processing your data. You retain the right to withdraw such consent at any time. If you do not agree to our use of your personal data in accordance with this Policy, please do not use our Site.
COLLECTION OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We collect information about you in the following ways:
Information you give us. This includes:
– the personal data you provide when you register to use our Site, including your name, postal address, email address, telephone number, username, password and demographic information (such as your gender);
– the personal data that may be contained in any video, comment or other submission you upload or post to the Site
– personal data provided in connection with our rewards program and other promotions that we run on the Site;
– the personal data you provide when you report a problem with our Site or when we provide customer support to you
– the personal information you provide when you make a purchase on our Site; and
– the personal data you provide when you correspond with us by telephone, e-mail or otherwise.
Information from Social Networking Sites. Our Site includes interfaces that allow you to connect to social networking sites (each a “SNS”). If you connect to an SNS through our Site, you authorise us to access, use and store information that you have agreed that the SNS could provide to us based on your settings on that SNS. We will access, use and store such information in accordance with this Policy. You may revoke our access to information provided in this manner at any time by changing the appropriate settings from your account settings in the applicable SNS.
Information collected automatically. We automatically record information about you and your computer or mobile device when you access our Site. For example, when you visit our Site, we record the name and version of your computer or mobile device, manufacturer and model, browser type, browser language, screen resolution, the site you visited before browsing our Site, pages you viewed, how long you spent on a page, access times, and information about your use of and actions on our Site. We collect this information about you using cookies.
Automated Decision Making and Profiling.
We do not use your personal data for automated decision-making purposes. However, we may do so in order to comply with obligations imposed by law, in which case we will inform you of such processing and give you the opportunity to object.
What are cookies?
We may collect information using “cookies”. “Cookies” are small data files stored on the hard drive of your computer or mobile device by a website. We may use both session cookies (which expire when you close your web browser) and persistent cookies (which remain on your computer or mobile device until you delete them) to provide you with a more personal and interactive experience on our Site.
We use two broad categories of cookies: (1) first-party cookies, served directly by us to your computer or mobile device, which are used only by us to recognize your computer or mobile device when you revisit our Site; and (2) third-party cookies, which are served by service providers on our Site, and may be used by such service providers to recognize your computer or mobile device when you visit other websites.
Cookies We Use
- Our Site uses the following types of cookies for the purposes set out below:
- Type of cookie
- Essential Cookies
- These cookies are essential to provide you with services available through our Site and to enable you to use some of its features. Without these cookies, the services you have requested cannot be provided and we only use these cookies to provide these services to you.
- Functional cookies
- These cookies allow our Site to remember the choices you make when you use our Site, [such as remembering your language preferences, remembering your login details and remembering the changes you make to other parts of our Site that you can customise. The purpose of these cookies is to provide you with a more personal experience and to avoid you having to re-enter your preferences each time you visit our Site.
- Analytics and performance cookies
- These cookies are used to collect information about traffic to our Site and how users use our Site. The information collected does not identify any individual visitor. It includes the number of visitors to our Site, the sites that referred them to our Site, the pages they visited on our Site, what time of day they visited our Site, whether they have visited our Site before, and other similar information. We use this information to help operate our Site more efficiently, to gather broad demographic information and to monitor the level of activity on our Site.
- We use Google Analytics for this purpose. Google Analytics uses its own cookies. It is only used to improve the operation of our Site. You can find more information about Google Analytics cookies here: https://developers.google.com/analytics/resources/concepts/gaConceptsCookies
- You can find out more about how Google protects your data here: www.google.com/analytics/learn/privacy.html
- You can prevent the use of Google Analytics in connection with your use of our Site by downloading and installing the browser plugin available via this link: http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=pt-PT.
- Advertising and targeting cookies
- These cookies track your browsing habits to enable us to show you advertising that is most likely to be of interest to you. These cookies use information about your browsing history to group you with other users who have similar interests. Based on this information, and with our permission, third party advertisers may place cookies to allow them to show you advertisements that we think are relevant to your interests while you are on third party websites.
- You can disable cookies that remember your browsing habits and target advertising to you by visiting http://www.youronlinechoices.com/uk/your-ad-choices. If you choose to remove targeted or advertising cookies, you will still see ads, but they may not be relevant to you. Even if you choose to remove cookies by the companies listed in the link above, not all companies that serve online behavioural advertising are included in this list, so you may still receive some cookies and personalised ads from companies that are not listed.
- Social Media Cookies
- These cookies are used when you share information using a social media share button or “like” button on our Site or when you link your account or engage with our content on or through a social networking site such as Facebook, Twitter or Linkedin. The social network will record that you have done so.
You can usually remove or reject cookies through your browser settings. To do this, follow the instructions provided by your browser (usually located within the “settings”, “help”, “tools” or “edit”). Many browsers are set to accept cookies until you change your settings.
If you do not accept our cookies, you may experience some inconvenience in your use of our Site. For example, we may not be able to recognise your computer or mobile device, and you may need to log in each time you visit our Site.
We may use other companies to serve third-party advertisements when you visit and use the Site. These companies may collect and use information about click stream, browser type, time and date, subject matter of advertisements clicked or scrolled during your visits to the Site and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services that may be of interest to you. These companies typically use tracking technologies to collect this information. Other companies’ use of their tracking technologies is subject to their own privacy policies.
USING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We may use your personal data as follows:
– to operate, maintain, and improve our Site, products, and services;
– to manage your account, including to communicate with you regarding your account if you have an account on our Site;
– to operate and administer our prize program and other promotions that you participate in on our Site;
– respond to your comments and questions and provide customer service;
– send you information, including technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
– with your consent, send you marketing e-mails about upcoming promotions, and other news, including information about products and services offered by us and our affiliates. You can opt-out of receiving such information at any time: such marketing emails tell you how to “opt-out”. Please note that even if you opt-out of receiving marketing emails, we may send you non-marketing emails. Non-marketing emails include emails about your account with us (if you have one) and our business relationship with you;
– to process payments you make through our Site;
– as we deem necessary or appropriate (a) to comply with applicable laws; (b) to comply with legal requests and processes, including to respond to requests from public and government authorities; (c) to enforce our Policy; and (d) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or those of you or others;
– for research and analysis services; and
– as described in the “Sharing your personal data” section below.
SHARING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We may share your personal data as follows:
– Third parties you designate. We may share your personal data with third parties where you have given your consent to do so.
– Our third party service providers. We may share your personal data with our third party service providers who provide services such as data analytics, payment processing, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, email delivery, auditing and other similar services.
THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
Our Site may contain links to third party websites and features. This Policy does not cover the privacy practices of such third parties. These third parties have their own privacy policies and we do not accept any responsibility or liability for their websites, features or policies. Please read their privacy policies before submitting any data to them.
You may share personal data with us when you submit user-generated content to our Site, including through our rewards programme, forums, message boards and blogs on our Site. Please note that any information you post or disclose on our Site will become public information, and will be available to other users of our Site and the general public. We urge you to exercise great care when deciding to disclose your personal data, or any other information, on our Site. Such personal data and other information will not be private or confidential once it is posted on our Site.
If you provide feedback to us, we may use and disclose such feedback on our Site, provided that we do not associate such feedback with your personal data. We will collect any information contained in such feedback and treat the personal data contained therein in accordance with this Policy.
INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFER
Your information, including personal data that we collect from you, may be transferred, stored and processed by us outside the country in which you reside, where data protection and privacy regulations may not offer the same level of protection as in other parts of the world. By accepting this Policy, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing. We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with this Policy.
We endeavour to use reasonable organisational, technical and administrative measures to protect personal data within our organisation. Unfortunately, no transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be completely secure, and the transmission of information over the internet is not completely secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you may have with us has been compromised), please notify us of the problem immediately by contacting us.
We will only retain your personal data for 540 days unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law (for example, for regulatory purposes).
We will only retain your personal data for as long as reasonably necessary for you to use the Site until you close your account/cancel your subscription, unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law (for example, for regulatory purposes).
OUR POLICY RELATING TO CHILDREN
Our Site is not directed to children under the age of 16. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that their child has provided us with information without their consent, they should contact us. We will delete such information from our files as soon as reasonably practicable.
– Opt-out. You may contact us at any time to opt-out of: (i) direct marketing communications; (ii) automated decision-making and/or profiling; (iii) our collection of sensitive personal data; (iv) any further processing of your personal data that we may carry out beyond the original purpose; or (v) the transfer of your personal data outside the EEA. Please note that your use of some of the Site may be ineffective following your opt-out.
– Access. You can access the information we hold about you at any time through your profile/account or by contacting us directly.
– Amendment. You may also contact us to update or correct any inaccuracies in your personal information.
– Change. Your personal data is portable – that is, to have the flexibility to transfer your data to other service providers as you wish.
– Delete and forget. In certain situations, for example where the information we hold about you is no longer relevant or is incorrect, you can request that your data is deleted.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact us. In your request, please clarify: (i) what personal data is at issue; and (ii) which of the above rights you would like to assert. For your protection, we may only implement requests relating to the personal data associated with the specific e-mail address you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as possible and in any event within one month of your request. Please note that we may need to retain certain information for record keeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions you have entered into before requesting such change or deletion.
We are committed to resolving any complaints about our collection or use of your personal data. If you wish to make a complaint regarding this Policy or our practices regarding your personal data, please contact us at: email@example.com. We will respond to your complaint as soon as possible and in any event within 30 days. We hope to resolve any complaint made to us, however, if you consider that your complaint has not been adequately resolved, you reserve the right to contact your local data protection supervisory authority.
We welcome your comments or questions about this Policy. You may contact us in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org.